Sunday, March 21, 2010

What Does This Mother Think About At Night?

On Friday my 11 year old had minor "surgery" on her toe. She had an ingrown toenail that had to be removed by a doctor. They considered it surgery, I thought it was awesome being able to watch the whole thing. I used to think ingrown toenails were not a big deal. After all I've never had one. I was wrong! After seeing how bad hers was and what it took to properly take care of it I look at them in a whole new light. That night I loaded her up with Rx pain meds and sent her off to bed. She woke me up at about 3:30 that morning and needed more.

When someone waked me up in the middle of the night I can usually fall right back asleep. Not this night! My mind would not shut off. Here's what I thought about...

The new Ikea fabric that I had just bought. I can't wait to make curtains for my kitchen and curtains for the laundry closet so I can hide the ugly shelves. I thought about how cute it's going to be when they are done.

My blog. What was I going to write about next?

The new cabinet that we bought for our bathroom. I was dreading putting it together but knew that I would love the finished product.

Ikea. AGAIN. Did we make the right decision about not buying that bed for our 3 year old?

Our garden. Where do we plant everything? Did we buy all the seeds we need already?

Ikea, Ikea, Ikea. I want to re-decorate. I want new couches, new color on the kitchen cabinets, a new table (which we bought yesterday)...the list goes on and on.

My kids. I thought about how much I truly love them. At the doctor's office that afternoon Addison turned to me and told me how much she loved my shirt and my necklace. She told me she wanted my necklace and the doctor laughed. He asked if I was "friends" with her. I told him I was a MOM first!! He said that was good and told me that when they were grown then they could be my friends. I thought about that a lot. I love to goof off with my kids. But when it comes to being a real parent I will be!

I thought about all the fun things that I do with my kids and how silly we get. We will blast the ipod, grab kitchen utensils and sing at the top of our lungs. That's my favorite thing to do with them.

I really did think about all of that. I was happy that I was "stressing" about decorating and fabric and not money, my marriage, job, etc. For once I was happy to be awake in the middle of the night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment