Saturday, October 23, 2010

Feeding Your Family The CHEAP Way

I really do love to cook.  But there are some things that drive me crazy about cooking at home.  I hate grocery shopping.  I know there are some that love it.  Maybe I should give them my list and have them go shopping for me. 

I hate cleaning up the mess that I make after cooking dinner.  Where are the guys behind every cooking show cleaning up after them?  Why can't I have those?  I really want them.  I also want them to do all the prep work so I just have to show up for the fun.

I also hate the cost.  It's expensive to feed a family of 5 these days. 

I think I've found a solution to all my problems!  Guess what I've been doing lately?  I'm doubling up on my recipes cooking one then and freezing the other one.

I just finished up the grocery shopping for the next 2 weeks.  That includes breakfast, lunch and dinners.  Guess how much I spent?  $105!!  That is without coupons folks.  I used to be a huge coupon clipper but I really don't have the time for that right now.  That doesn't include toiletries and other items like that.  We are eating well too!

Here's the menu:
Chili
Spaghetti Beef Casserole
Quick Pizza Rolls
Chicken & Sausage Manicotti
Creamy Chicken Casserole 
Spaghetti
Chicken, Salad and Bread

Guess what?  I won't have to cook next week!  Sure we'll have to rotate the same menu until I have more meals stocked up but who cares?  I've tried the whole "once a month cooking" thing.  It's great but it's a TON of work.  I've found that doubling up a recipe is really not any more work or mess than cooking one meal at a time.  So what do you think?  Want to try it too?  Want the recipes?

4 comments:

Karina said...

What a great idea! Everything sounds delicious!

Shafferprincess said...

Yep - I want the recipes. This does sound like a great idea! Brandon & I might have to sit down and write out a menu and try it out. :)

Patti said...

What a great idea! I hate cooking in general - and I'm always looking for new recipes. Please post!

Thanks for sharing!

Kayleigh said...

Is that picture one you took of YOUR freezer? Holy cow, sign me up!

How appropriate - My verification word is "supper" LOL!

Post a Comment