Monday, March 7, 2011

Our First Meatless Meal

Last night for dinner I made "meatless tacos" and Spanish rice.  My husband's attitude is much better after dropping the bomb on him a few days ago letting him know that the majority of our meals would be meatless.  It was hilarious to see his reaction to that.  

When we lived in CA we loved to eat at a place called Super Taqueria.  They made the most amazing meatless tacos EVER.  So that's what I made last night.  

We have a tradition in our house.  Every single Sunday we eat dinner in the family room and watch America's Funniest Videos.  We've been doing this for YEARS now and it's something that we look forward to each week.  We lay down an old sheet and have a picnic.  So last night I fixed dinner and we were eating away.  They made a huge stink about not having any meat but guess what?  About half way into our meal I stood up and told them that if anyone wanted any more then they'd have to follow me into the kitchen.  ALL of them stood up and ran into the kitchen!  For making such a fuss, they sure did like dinner!  It was hilarious.  

So...do you want to try meatless tacos and Spanish rice for dinner too?  Here's the recipe.

Best Ever Spanish Rice - Serves 5-7
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup chunky salsa
  1. Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
  2. Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. 
Last night I realized that I didn't have any chicken broth so I used beef broth instead (I'll keep using beef from now on).  And the salsa I had was spicy so instead of a cup of salsa I added a small can of tomato sauce and a little bit of salsa to make 1 C.  It was delicious!

Meatless Tacos - Serves 5-7
3 cans pinto beans
Jack Cheese
Corn Tortillas

Heat the pinto beans (undrained) in a sauce pan.  Season them up.  I added onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin and chili powder to mine.  I just add the spices until I like the flavor of the beans.  Add a little at a time.  You can always add more but you can't take it out!

In a dry, HOT skillet heat the corn tortillas on each side until they are soft.  To keep mine hot I lay a clean towel in the bottom of a bowl.  I keep adding the tortillas, covering them up with the towel after each batch.  They will stay nice and hot.

Assemble your tacos...tortilla, cheese and beans.  YUM!

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment